Adamclisi village is the most significant archaeological setting of Roman age on the whole Romanian territory, due to the nearby presence of the triumphant monument called Tropaeum Traiani. The monument was erected in 109 AC by the Roman emperor Traian, with the aim of celebrating his victory against the local Gets and their allies, in102 AC.

Away from the monument thereabouts, at a distance of 1,4 km, lie the ruins of the eponym city, whose strongholds were founded by the same emperor, right upwards a former Geto-Dacian village. Even from the beginning, the city of Tropaeum Traiani was raised to the rank of a municipium.

The name “Adamclisi” is Turkish, meaning “the man’s church”. The name has its origin in the appellation that the subsequent occupants of the region gave afterwards to the monument’s ruins, considered by them to be a holly sanctuary, serving to Christian worship, probably due to the edifice’s grandness and form.

Inscriptions, necropolis, aqueducts, ruins of Roman walls and Roman-Byzantine fortresses–they have all been archaeologically examined since 1882, all becoming an important subject of research, under the guidance of the late Romanian historian George Tocilescu.

The discoveries made from that time on are now exposed at the Tropaeum Traiani Museum, a touristic sight inciting the modern man’s curiosity not only for old history, but also for tasting good and quality wines, the same way as the former Romans.